- This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Aruorihwo.
February 11, 2020 at 4:08 pm #85640Participant@aruorihwo
If you are looking to start a blog and you are confused about which platform to use then you are not alone and this post was made to help you make a more informed decision.
Blogger and WordPress are two of the most popular platforms available for blogging. With both of them, you can create and manage your blog easily without a lot of technical know-how.
WordPress is a free open source platform. It is a full content management system, which means with WordPress you can create just about any type of website; blog, website or online store. Once downloaded, it can be used for as many websites as you would like. With WordPress, you would need to get a domain name (this like your house address) and hosting plan (where the house is situated) to start using the platform.
- WordPress is easy to use, it is very beginner-friendly. Using WordPress to start a blog doesn’t require you to have any coding skills. We would go into more details about how to set up a WordPress blog in a future post.
- On WordPress, you can find a lot of free and premium plugins and themes to enable you to customize your blog to the way you want it to be. There is a plugin for practically anything and you can install them without any coding skills.
- You can use it on both mobile and desktop
- You have full control and ownership of your site.
- You can create any type of website.
- You can install any of the SEO plugins available on the platform to increase your ranking on search engines.
- You can monetize your blog by including affiliate marketing and using Google Adsense.
- You would need to make a small investment for your domain name and hosting.
- It takes a while to fully learn and understand how to use WordPress.
- You are responsible for maintaining and securing your website.
- If you are new to WordPress, you might get overwhelmed by the different plugin and theme options available to you.
Blogger is a blogging service owned by Google, it allows users to create their blogs at no cost. It is quick and easy to set up.
- If you are just trying your hands on blogging, then Blogger is a nice place to start. It is easy to use and can be set up in a matter of minutes.
- You can start by using Blogger subdomain name before upgrading to your domain name. That means your URL would go something like; http://www.tryitout.blogspot.com.
- You do not need a hosting plan, Google takes care of hosting, maintenance and security.
- You can easily integrate with other Google services such as Google Analytics, Google Plus, and AdSense.
- You can create as many blogs as you want with one Blogger account.
- Blogger is easy to customize.
- Blogger is strictly for blogs, it can’t be used for anything other than a blog site.
- You do not own your content since all Blogger sites are hosted by Google. That means that Google has ownership of the sites, so unless you export it, your site is never really yours.
- You have very limited control over your customization abilities.
- You can’t upload videos, pictures, and files to your site directly, you have to use a third-party file hosting service.
- Your account can be closed at any time by Google.
Still confused? Let’s take a closer look at the table below:
WordPress Blogger Free to use the platform, but you need to buy a domain and hosting plan Completely free to use A little more professional so you have to do a little bit of learning. Easy to learn and use. You can start blogging in just a couple of minutes. There is a huge WordPress community that can help you solve whatever problem you might run into. There are limited resources available to help you improve your blog. WordPress is considered professional, so it is much easier to monetize your blog It is harder to monetize your blog on Blogger as a lot of brands don’t take Blogger seriously You can customize the link structure. You cannot customize your link structure, it would always show the date a post was first published There are several plugins to help increase SEO ratings There is no feature to help improve your SEO ratings There are loads of themes available to choose from. You can get both paid and free themes in whatever niche you desire. There is very little you can do as regards customization. In other to make changes, you need to know HTML and CSS and if not careful, you can easily make mistakes. You have total control over your content. You do not have full control over your contents and Google can do whatever they please with it. There are plugins to help get rid of spams You cannot moderate comments
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.