With just a bit of extra effort, you could get significant page speed improvements on your WordPress website by using Amazon’s Content Delivery Network (CDN). This is because Amazon has robust servers all over the world that can serve your content much faster than the single shared hosting server that your WordPress site is most likely installed on.
Recently, I came across the need to sort the output of some XML transformed via XSLT. Normally, this isn’t too difficult. We just perform the sort within our template with some XSL code as simple as:
Twitter announced today a new Related Headlines feature, which shows what websites a tweet has been embedded in on the tweet’s permalinked page. This lets you follow through on a story and learn extra context, and it encourages sites to embed tweets more often. From now on, when you click on the tweet’s URL on Twitter.com, you will see links to news stories where that tweet has been embedded. As an example, I will embed my own tweet below. If you click on the tweet’s URL (the timestamp), then you SHOULD see a link to this website in the related headlines section.
I like to automate things! There’s this great feeling you get when you set things up to run without manual intervention. It just makes you feel “powerful”. I have scripts and code pieces to backup stuff like Microsoft SQL Server Databases (see my post on Backing up SQL Server to Dropbox), MySQL Databases, entire cloud machines, entire websites, and/or selected folder(s) within a directory.
You have carefully developed a workflow with Visual Studio. Deployment and testing go smoothly on your dev machine. Some weeks or months later, the business requests some changes to the workflow. You implement the required changes and again deployment and testing (on your dev machine) also work fine. Now you try to upgrade the version you have on the production environment. And then the nightmare of versioning workflows begins…
I still remember battling with different methods of creating wiki/publishing pages within an enterprise wiki site using code in SharePoint 2010. While the issues I encountered were almost frustrating at the time, the overall learning experience was great. So for developers like me who might be tasked with similar problems (and of course for my personal reference), I have put together this article to describe what works and what does not. I have tested the final code and found it to work for both a publishing site as well as a team site with the publishing feature activated.